Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Trials and tribulations

Thanks to everyone who entered their hounds under me at the Association of Bloodhound breeders Championship Trials yesterday.
There were 18 hounds competing in the Novice stake and by the 18th line my knees and feet were in serious trouble having walked jogged or run after every hound!! It would have been impossible without my 2 judges assistants Duncan Robertson and Ian Sayles, both of whom were great company.
We were so so lucky with the weather, and without doubt we saw some good hunting from every hound, even though the dry bare ground held little scent in places.
Everyone (as far as i was aware anyhow!) seemed to be happy with their lines, and certainly they were all very nice lines on beautiful ground, with none of the awful hedges, ditches, and wire that we sometimes come across.
Being brought up in a hunting background meant that I have also been brought up with the many disciplines that also go with it and it was in this respect that i felt my only sense of diapointment in the day.....turn out!!!
I have been brought up with the strict regime of making sure your appearance reflects your appreciation for your hosts and your sport. therefore I was really disapointed to some folk turned out to hunt their hounds in the most awful get ups. Im not talking fashion sense here!
If I was a member of the public and saw how some folk were dressed, I would be quite dubious of their intent.... or if i was the landowner, Id be having second thoughts about letting them on my land!! Please please can we get back to sensible country clothing for hunting our hounds? We dont need to look like we are on the beach or working for the red cross....is it too much to ask that we can look like people hunting their hounds in a rural environment??
OK my small moan over.....well done to all the winners, and a full set of results from the weeks trials will appear shortly on www.associationofbloodhoundbreeders.info

No comments:

Post a Comment